Friday, September 19, 2008

CareerBeam Values and Vision


Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
-Albert Schweitzer


It is hard to imagine what my life will be like in 10 or more years. I am hoping to be doing something that is so important, intriguing and guiding to my life that it will make me WANT to wake up in the morning and take on each day. I see myself maybe making a lot of money but that is not my main focus. I intend to live comfortably but really get myself into something that I can constantly be learning something from. I want to be involved in something that will exercise my brain and keep things a challenge. The bigger the challenge, the better success will feel. I can imagine myself doing a lot of work with people. I think a strength of mine, is that I have a very open mind. I love to meet new people and hear what they have to say about different things. I love to give people my opinion while taking in theirs. I am constantly learning things from my surroundings and I want to also contribute to other people by helping them learn new things. I feel that I have a pretty creative mind and if given a task, I can work from that and expand it into something wonderful. I like to create things and use my imagination. There is no limit to where my mind can take me. I want to be in a career field that is moving at a moderate pace so I am constantly busy, but not overwhelmed. When I get overwhelmed, I tend to rush though things and not finish them with my full potential. I think I can be very persuasive also. Not in a bad, untruthful and "scammy" type way, but in a honest way. When I find a product, for example, that works for me, I can easily convince someone else to try it out. It is not that I am concerned with selling the product to someone else, it is more that I am happy with it and it is nice to share my happiness with someone else by suggesting they try it to. I think that I get along with people very well. I am easy to talk to and am very accepting of others. It can be hard not to judge people at first glance, but I always try my hardest to look at everyone with an open mind and hear what they have to say before I form an opinion about them. I am not sure where exactly any of this takes me, but it is a start.

Writing a vision statement was a good way to open my eyes to my future. It helped me sort of think about what I want to do with my life and where I want to go with it. Although I am not sure which field my vision sticks me in, I have a better idea of what kind of things I am interested in. I know that I want to work with people, and I love to help people. I want others to be happy and I want to aid in that.

The vision statement was a challenge to write. I am still not even sure if I wrote it correctly. It was challenging to really think about where I want to be in my life 10 years from now. Firstly it was kind of scary to realize that now is the time where I need to start deciding where I am going to go with my life. I want to have a good ride, and be successful and happy, but also want to really enjoy what I am doing. I want to make a difference somehow... even though I am not sure in what ways. I am in the business field, but I do not know much about it so far. I am learning and find it all very intriguing but I do not know enough about it yet to decide what I want to do with it. That was another challenge and I do not even think I faced that in my vision statement.

Below are my Scores for Values

Driver: 26
Creator: 19
Humanitarian:31
Pursuer:23
Maximizer:21
Values: The Humanitarian Set
  • If your value type is Humanitarian, you are motivated by an environment that improves the lives of others, allowing you to be kind, sympathetic, warm and giving.
  • This set values charity, unselfishness and the freedom of others and is apt to offer aid and assistance to others as well as understanding.
  • The humanitarian set contributes to another's well-being. Acting for materialistic gain without first considering the consequences on other people is against your nature.

I think my score on the values section is pretty similar on how I like to live my life. I really hate to see people upset and unhappy so I am usually trying my hardest to let them know not to let little things get them down and move on. I do not do in a non-sympathetic way, I am very genuine about it and use my humor to make others feel better and learn to rub off the small things. I love to give people gifts and let them know that I am thinking about them. I generally base a lot of my actions off of the golden rule. I usually analyze situations by putting myself in other peoples shoes to better understand what they are going through. I always try to treat people how I would want to be treated. I can't always say that I follow these values all the time but I definitely try my hardest to aid in other peoples happiness. When I was little, my mom would always tell me to say 5 nice things to people during the day at school. Even if I was having a bad day and really didn't want to, she would say "You have no idea how much of a difference one nice comment can make in someones day". I find this to be pretty true because when I am having a bad day and someone says a nice thing to me, it really does make a difference. So when I am walking around places I love to give compliments to people, and always smile at them. Although it might not be that great for them, I think everything can make one small difference. I realize that I have a very caring side, I feel like the results of my quiz weren't quite me. I do agree with it in some respects because I do love to help improve the lives of others and be kind, sympathetic and warm. But in other regards, I want to be able to support myself financially and live comfortably and maybe one day have a family in which I can continue to support.

I found this website which has a lot to do with my humanitarian side...
Care: I think working for care would be very rewarding in that I am helping others and truly making a difference in their life. It is really important to me that everyone have the chance of having a fulfilling life and being a part of that would be really wonderful. I think this would be something that I would do as a side project. I would love to donate all of my time to this but also am no nun (haha) and cannot pretend to be that selfless. I really wish I could be but I do like nice things and material things. I feel like to really be fulfilling a job like this, I would have to be completely about helping others all the time. I am not trying to be selfish but I do also need to help myself just like everyone else. One can only do so much for another.


CARE’s Vision Statement

  • We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.
  • CARE International will be a global force and a partner of choice within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We will be known everywhere for our unshakable commitment to the dignity of people.
CARE’s Mission Statement
  • CARE International’s mission is to serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world.
  • Drawing strength from our global diversity, resources and experience, we promote innovative solutions and are advocates for global responsibility. We facilitate lasting change by:
• Strengthening capacity for self-help;
• Providing economic opportunity;
• Delivering relief in emergencies;
• Influencing policy decisions at all levels;
• Addressing discrimination in all its forms.

Guided by the aspirations of local communities, we pursue our mission with both excellence and compassion because the people whom we serve deserve nothing less.

http://www.care.org/newsroom/publications/annualreports/2007/FY07_care_fin.pdf

1 comment:

Memere's Cookbook said...

Fantastic blog! Keep up the good work.